Modern Day Revival
In 1903 the management of the Domain passed to the Department of Tourist and Health Resorts. With the appointment by government of New Zealand’s first balneologist, Arthur Wohlmann and the growing hydropathic industry, Te Aroha became the place to take the waters.
Anxious to gain more expertise in the art of Swedish massage to compliment the hydrotherapy treatments, the Agent General, for New Zealand, W. P. Reeves contracted, Swedish born Elsa Fredga, to work in both Rotorua and Hanmer Springs and finally in Te Aroha. Elsa married the then manager of the Te Aroha Domain, George F. McGirr, and went on to practice physiotherapy both in the Cadman and independently for many years.
As well as the cures offered at the Cadman Sanatorium there were also the bathhouses available to the public use. No. 4 bathhouse, was really popular with children. The ladies had No. 1 bathhouse to themselves and the No. 6 was also a favourite with visitors.
Te Aroha popularity as a spa town declined over the following years due partly to Rotorua’s rise in popularity. Today the Domain and spas, now owned and run by the local council, are acquiring a growing reputation with visitors. Perhaps Te Aroha will once again gain the recognition it deserves from visitors
Phn: +64 7 884 4427
Fax: +64 7 884 4427
PO Box 137
Te Aroha 3342
|2 Adults & up to 4 children aged 5-16 (under 5's free)|
Winter (1st Apr - 31st Oct)
Every Day, 12 noon - 3pm
Summer (1st Nov - 31st Mar)
Every Day, 11am - 4pm